ATTENTION: This site is updated regularly. Please scroll down and look for topic headers of interest. If you do not see a recent update, it is because they have not been finalized. Please check back with us.
SPECIAL NEWS/IMPORTANT PROGRAM UPDATE:
UPDATED on 5/23/17
The Harriet Stix Scholarship (available to those 18Y & up that can be used towards classes AND open studios) form is now available to download! See further detials in the Scholarship section of this website or view the form here.
Tickets are on sale NOW for the next Drink & Draw! Purchase tickets here.
Annoncement: A special pop-up artist talk for FOSAS members!
& Slide Show Presentation by visiting artist, Esther Shimazu.
Mon 5/1 | 1:30-3pm in the Carousel Room
*FREE for interested FOSAS members*
Please Note: Space is not guaranteed and priority is given to registrants students of upcoming ceramics classes and FOSAS members.
Note: Esther Shimazu is this session’s visiting artist for the ceramics Master Series, course #9200 at the Rochambeau Center 5/2-5/5.
Visit sharonartstudio.org for latest news, membership info & other announcements
ATTENTION JEWELRY STUDENTS:
A new Jewelry Open Studio Session for Spring Session has been added!
Saturdays, 5/6-5/27, 4:30-7:30pm in the Jewelry Studio
Registration open NOW! See details and register here: sfrecpark.org/register
SPRING STUDENT SALE- SELLER PACKETS NOW AVAILABLE:
The annual Spring Student Sale is on May 7, 2017. The mission of the Sharon Art Studio Sale is to continue the education of the artist student by hosting a learning sale event.
THE SALE GOALS:
- help students learn the procedures and needs surrounding a sales endeavor
- provide opportunity for students to interact with members of the public in relation to their artwork
- a learning experience vs. a professional art sale/private studio event
WHO MAY SELL:
- Currently enrolled SAS adult (18+) students or Studio Assistants may be sellers, as well as students from Summer 2016, Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 sessions.
- Sellers may only sell their own work made at the studio
Seller Packets with sale information are now available at the front desk at the studio, along with a sign-up binder. Students from all departments are encouraged and welcome to sign-up by Wednesday, May 3, noon.
Once interested individuals have officially signed–up, a special communication will be arranged for participants.
UPDATED on 4/6/17
Information about Fall Session and events coming soon!
Fall session will run 8/21-12/23
Fall member Priority Registration opens 7/29 at 10am
Fall General Registration opens 8/5 at 10am
The Sharon Art Studio's SUMMER 2017 Catalog is coming soon to the studio! Physical copies should arrive in late April.
You can begin viewing summer courses on this site as well as the registration site NOW!
Download a PDF copy of the Summer 2017 course catalog here.
SUMMER 2017 Session Dates: June 11-Aug 13
Summer Membership Priority Registration opens May 6th at 10am
Summer General Registration opens May 13th at 10am
Carlo Grunfeld's Interpreting the Figure in Watercolor #9503 (Fridays in the Carousel Room, 6:30-9:30pm, 3/31-5/12 ) class is now accepting drop-ins!
Drop in fee: $40
Checks or cash only (Checks should be made out to "FOSAS") and provided to the instructor. Students should not phone the studio/FOSAS office or call the registration desk to register/reserve a space. Space is limited and is first come first serve.
Prerequisite: Students must have basic painting experience - this is not a workshop for beginners. Students are encouraged to bring any watercolor material of their choosing. Instructor will present specific exercises for painting the figure in watercolor at each meeting.
NATURE in WATERCOLOR w/Karen Bash 9198 10a-12:30pm IS running on THURSDAYS (there was an error in the studio brochure). If you go to register for this class, the correct day of the week will be reflected in the registration system. Just a courtesy
CAUTION: Expressive Brushstokes (Tuesday 10a-12pm) is not running for Spring 2017. If you see this class/activity on the registration system as an option to put in your wish list, please be aware it will not be running. We may do a version of this class in a future session.
SPRING CATALOGS HAVE ARRIVED
The Spring 2017 catalogs have arrived at the studio! Pick up a copy today or view courses online at sharonartstudio.org! Priority Registration for Friends of Sharon Art Studio members opens this Saturday, Feb 25th, at 10am, and General Registration opens next Saturday, Mar 4th, at 10am. Log into your account and start adding classes to your wish list today at sfrecpark.org/register.
Click here to view/download the catalog as a PDF!
MAILING LIST VERSUS THE NEWSLETTER/E-NEWS
REMINDER ABOUT MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS:
FOSAS memberships are now renewed on-line. Practice logging-on to your ActiveNet registration account and check your membership and renew if necessary. (See sample screen below) Please do not mail-in checks to the studio with an old membership application form from a previous brochure. Memberships are now processed through Active Net (just like class registrations). Your FOSAS membership status is instantaniously updated once you complete the on-line renewal/purchase. Remember you are able to check your membership status/expiration at anytime on-line, proactively.
The FOSAS office will still mail you a special thank-you letter with your new FOSAS member card, but these items are not required to register for activities and we send these items approximately two weeks after your on-line renewal/purchase.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR SPRING PRIORITY REGISTRATION!
SUGGESTED CHECK-LIST PRE-SATURDAY:
6) IMPORTANT: WAITING LIST INSTRUCTIONS:
If you are placed on the waiting list automatically because the class is already full, you still need to proceed to checkout to complete the waiting list transaction.
CLARIFICATION/REMINDERS FOR PRIORITY REGISTRATION:
- The registration website is live all the time now (there is not a “registration preparation down time”) so clients can log-on any time. But the Registration Desk wouldn’t advise you logging-on until about 10 minutes before the start of 10am Priority Registration. As with any internet site, if a site is idle for a long period of time, it sometimes needs to be refreshed from your end. Sometimes people can get logged-out if they are idle for too long.
- Seconds before 10am, if a client is viewing their Wish List, they should see a countdown till exactly 10am and be able to see the “wish list” button magically turn into an Add to Cart button. If at 10am they don’t see this, they should refresh their screen (CTRL + F5) (Command + R for Mac users).
- It is recommended/definitely encouraged for students to register from home or from their mobile device if they want a better chance to get into a high-demand class. If you come to the studio to register on Saturday, remember the studio uses DSL internet, which is slower. We would recommend student register from home/device.
WITH FOLLOW-UP INFORMATION/ADVICE FROM OUR SFRPD REGISTRATION DESK:
1. Q. When looking for an activity to register – and one is signed-in…why is it necessary to reconfirm “who you are?"
2. Q. I had a Wish-List scenario that puzzled me: a class that had been on my Wish List evaporated from my Cart and was replaced with an “incomplete entry” message...even though I’d entered everything correctly.
3. Q. Let's say I have a first choice and it's full at the time I try to register for it. Is it better for me to take the time to "wait list" this class and then try my second choice or go try my second choice, etc.?
A. If an activity is full, we would go to our second choice first before doing waiting list option.
4. Q. A spinning icon appears after I have clicked "payment." What should I do?
A. Let it spin; it may be that the credit card transaction is taking a few seconds. If it seems stuck, refresh screen and see if you can try to make payment.
5. I've been asked to verify my credit card on file. Why does this happen and it seems some customers are asked to do so and others are not?
It shouldn’t be an issue because if they are at that point of payment, the spot is held for them. Once they add a class to their shopping cart, it’s held for at least 10 minutes.
6. I have a FOSAS FAMILY membership and myself and another person want to register for the same class. If it's a high-demand class, is it better to have each of us sign-on to register on our own at the same time, vs. having one person try to register for both people?
Yes, it might be faster. That is your choice. Each person should have their own login and own password and can sign up for their class individually. Even though they share a family FOSAS membership and are on one “family” account, they have individual customer accounts.
7. My membership does not need to be renewed for awhile. When does a reminder email get sent to me and what is the email address it comes from so I can look for it?
UPDATED on 1/19/17:
UPDATED on 1/19/17:
VESTA KIRBY MEMORIAL EVENT:
The FOSAS office has organized with the family of Vesta Kirby a special January 21, 2017 memorial and creative service at the Sharon Art studio.
DATE: Saturday, January 21, 2017
TIME: 6-7:30pm (Formal introduction and special readings will begin at 6:30pm)
Order of Service
6-6:30 Informal mingle and memories
(Participants are encouraged to visit with each other and reflect on Vesta's work on display)
6:30 Introduction to the family
6:40 Special Reading: Born to Eternal Life by Vesta Kirby
6:45 Special Reading: taken from Georgia O'Keefe's 1943 exhibition
6:50 Special Reading: an inspirational quote by Martha Graham
7:00 Shell Ceremony
Participants are invited to take a few shells with them to leave in a special place of nature- inspired by Vesta's own words:
"...returning to tell the loved ones where they had gone."
SPECIAL NOTES: RSVPs are not required to attend the event.
Light refreshments will be provided.
UPDATED on 1/19/17
ADDITIONAL KAREN BASH "off-site" FINE ART CLASS:
An additional offsite course "Museum Sketching : deYoung Museum" is now available to register.
This additional course will run on Friday afternoons (2pm-5pm) for 5 sessions from 2/10-3/10. This class is held offsite at the de Young. For more information here is the link to the course #9653
Instructor will contact registered students prior to first session by email to confirm details. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm for the upcoming session!
Beginning Watercolor #7453 Mon ,10am-1pm 1/9-3/6 will be taught by Carlo Grunfeld
Drawing and Painting In Pastels #7466 Sat, 10am-1pm will be taught by Carlo Grunfeld
Expressive Brushstrokes #7471 Wed, 10am-1pm, 1/4-3/8 has been cancelled for Winter session.
Chinese Brush Painting #7458 Tues, 10am-12pm 1/3-3/7 has been cancelled for Winter session.
Still Life in Gouache #7603 Mon, 6:30-9:30 1/9-3/6 has been cancelled and will not run this Winter semester. We hope to run a version of this class in a future session.
The Sharon Art Studio has been given a makeover: the studio now has a new roof, and the sky light has been replaced!
Also, finally the studio's building sign includes the address! Now the studio should be easier for visitors and new students to find.
We now have two brand new gas kilns to fire pieces at cone 10! Woo-hoo!